Saturday, July 16, 2011

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...

Men love food.

I have never met a guy who ever turned down food.

With that said, it's not about manipulating them with food to try and get our way or make them fall in love with us. I think it's generally a nice gesture to cook delicious meals for those great men in our lives. For me, I like to cook for my amazing boyfriend, Zack. Sometimes I like to take a jab at trying to make food from his culture (which I am a very unfamiliar with) because I think it makes him happy. It may not be as good as his mom's cooking, but I'm trying!

About a month ago, I was browsing through the oh-so-famous Joy Of Cooking cookbook and came upon Rugelach. I pretty much have this recipe down for my own variation without having to seek out a recipe. Here is how I make mine.

 Rugelach  Yield: About 24 pastries
 2 cups flour
 1 (8oz) package of cream cheese
2 sticks of butter
1/3 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup of walnuts (chopped)
1 jar of fruit jam (I use strawberry or raspberry)

 Mix the flour, cream cheese, and butter. Form into two discs, wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours. Roll out discs and divide the disc into equal triangle wedges (about 12 per disc). Roll out each triangle wedge to desired thickness. Mix sugar and cinnamon. Spread a bit of jam on each triangle, followed by the sugar and cinnamon mixture and lastly add a few walnuts. Roll from thickest width of the triangle to the tip of the triangle. Repeat until all dough is used. Brush with egg wash. If desired, you may all sprinkle the pastries with a bit more sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or so until it begins to turn a light golden pastry.

Before baking:


Finished Product:



Until next time, happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment